When do you say stop
Saying no is the hardest thing for me to do. I WANT to do everything that I WANT to do, but I end up doing more things that I NEED to do, and then I get mad at myself for not getting to do the things that I want to do.
I need to work. That is a given. But the things that I want to do get in the way of needing to work.
I need to teach. That isn't so much a given, but I have agreed to it, and I have an obligation to the school and the students to do it in a manner that imparts knowledge on the students.
I need to do housework. But that is just too depressing, so I FIND something that I want to do, and do it.
I need to knit. Yes. This is a need. I have a small business. I have customers. I have people who are waiting on things from me. I can't say it is a want when it is work-related. But, my need to knit projects take precedence over the want to knit projects.
I need to have a filter installed in my brain to tell me when a need takes precedence over a want, and vice versa.
I think this is one of the reasons why I feel guilty when I do something I want to do, because I don't have the ability to differentiate when I should do something I want versus doing something I need to do.
Now, I need to take a shower. I need to download a case or two to work on because I am now a day behind in work, and if I don't watch it, I will be two days behind. And then three. And then I will resent myself. And thus the deep thoughts this morning....
I need to work. That is a given. But the things that I want to do get in the way of needing to work.
I need to teach. That isn't so much a given, but I have agreed to it, and I have an obligation to the school and the students to do it in a manner that imparts knowledge on the students.
I need to do housework. But that is just too depressing, so I FIND something that I want to do, and do it.
I need to knit. Yes. This is a need. I have a small business. I have customers. I have people who are waiting on things from me. I can't say it is a want when it is work-related. But, my need to knit projects take precedence over the want to knit projects.
I need to have a filter installed in my brain to tell me when a need takes precedence over a want, and vice versa.
I think this is one of the reasons why I feel guilty when I do something I want to do, because I don't have the ability to differentiate when I should do something I want versus doing something I need to do.
Now, I need to take a shower. I need to download a case or two to work on because I am now a day behind in work, and if I don't watch it, I will be two days behind. And then three. And then I will resent myself. And thus the deep thoughts this morning....

1 Comments:
Sister, I know. I've gone and just sat in my scraproom several times over the past few days. Looking at my projects, stacks of pictures..it's all calling my name. But alas, I go and clean up the kitchen, prepare dinner..review my class stuff..ugh. I need some ME time BAD!!! Bring your knitting to the store if you want..I don't care! I just need some girl time BAD! Do what will make you feel better, even if it isn't a "priority" (scrappin vs. knitting..)
Speaking of obligations...one down, one more to go tonight. Be sure to watch the office tonight..it should be pretty good! I'll be enjoying a miller (ha!) come 9pm. TRUST ME ON THAT ONE!!!!
Love ya girlie...
Post a Comment
<< Home