Deep Thoughts or Why You Should Never Eat Taco Bell at 9:45 At Night
Last night, I was finished with class around 9. We had covered what we needed and, since we are nearing the end, we got a little earlier than usual. Not satisfied with the Cheerios I had for dinner (although I do love me some cereal for dinner), I decided that I would *treat* myself to a Run for the Border. Got a bean burrito and a nachos supreme ala Meredith (take off that nasty meat, that was once rumored to be kangaroo), the tomatoes, and the sour cream, please.
Eating dinner # 2 on my couch while watching The Apprentice, thinking about these people who are bending over backwards for a shot at a job with The Donald, I started to calculate some things in my head.
Now, I'm not known for my high math skills, so it took me a minute to realize ... I am twice the age I was when I graduated high school.
Depressing? Not in the least. I am 36. I will readily admit that (that is, when I really remember that is my true age... McCayla had to remind me one time that I was no longer a 35 year-old just about a month ago). I have no problem with admission of my age.
It just boggled my mind a little.
Why did it seem to take FOREVER to get to high school graduation, but it seems like yesterday that I graduated from high school?
Why do I remember outfits that I wore in high school, but given the opportunity to try to remember in high school what I wore on my first day of first grade, I wouldn't be able to render any memories?
Why do I remember that one time when I yelled at my mother in front of her senior class (my then-boyfriend's class) and getting grounded because I back-sassed her, but I probably couldn't remember the last time it was that my father would have spanked me (he only spanked me when I was little ... Mom doled out a lot of the non-physical punishment, except for the occasional whack with the rubber spatula, having long since abandoned the wooden spoon after she broke it on my brother and he laughed at her... you don't laugh at my mother when she is mad)?
It seems like it was only a few years ago that I found out I was pregnant with McCayla, Evan, and Jenna. It seems like only two days ago that I went into labor for McCayla, was induced for Evan, and had Jenna via c-section.
It is just interesting to me that these last 18 years, which matched the number of years it took for me to get to high school, flew by in a matter of a few years.
Oh bean burrito, how you make me think.
Eating dinner # 2 on my couch while watching The Apprentice, thinking about these people who are bending over backwards for a shot at a job with The Donald, I started to calculate some things in my head.
Now, I'm not known for my high math skills, so it took me a minute to realize ... I am twice the age I was when I graduated high school.
Depressing? Not in the least. I am 36. I will readily admit that (that is, when I really remember that is my true age... McCayla had to remind me one time that I was no longer a 35 year-old just about a month ago). I have no problem with admission of my age.
It just boggled my mind a little.
Why did it seem to take FOREVER to get to high school graduation, but it seems like yesterday that I graduated from high school?
Why do I remember outfits that I wore in high school, but given the opportunity to try to remember in high school what I wore on my first day of first grade, I wouldn't be able to render any memories?
Why do I remember that one time when I yelled at my mother in front of her senior class (my then-boyfriend's class) and getting grounded because I back-sassed her, but I probably couldn't remember the last time it was that my father would have spanked me (he only spanked me when I was little ... Mom doled out a lot of the non-physical punishment, except for the occasional whack with the rubber spatula, having long since abandoned the wooden spoon after she broke it on my brother and he laughed at her... you don't laugh at my mother when she is mad)?
It seems like it was only a few years ago that I found out I was pregnant with McCayla, Evan, and Jenna. It seems like only two days ago that I went into labor for McCayla, was induced for Evan, and had Jenna via c-section.
It is just interesting to me that these last 18 years, which matched the number of years it took for me to get to high school, flew by in a matter of a few years.
Oh bean burrito, how you make me think.

2 Comments:
Girl, step away from TACO BELL. That was a after bar run place for sure. I know what you mean, it seemed like we were in school forever and then, just like that, we are big people. I need some Meredith time. Are you coming Friday?! I need some time with all my sistahs, come to think of it. Have to work a dreaded three days in a row....plus have to give a special presentation at work this week. Need to think about something fun and positive this weekend...
Talk to you soon!
Yes, Miss Robin... I will be at the store! Wouldn't miss it... unless I have an ill child, of course. M, who appeared to be doing better just all day yesterday, informed me 10 minutes before the bus was to come get her, that her tummy was hurting bad. So we shall see what happens with that ...
Post a Comment
<< Home