Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Way to Go Upward, Way to Go (clap clap)

As much as I have complained about the fact that I had Upward commitments, having to be somewhere EVERY Saturday for the past two months, sometimes two places because I was helping out with a concession stand, last night was the icing on the cake, and the people at Upward really did an awesome job of recognizing these kids and their accomplishments.

They started off with the lights off, the official music (you know ... Let's Get Ready to Rumble... I don't know a basketball team in the United States that hasn't used this) starts up, and they announce the team names, starting with the cheerleaders. Jennifer and I had a hard time hearing when they called the Spirit squad .. ok .. who am I kidding. I didn't hear it at all, but Jennifer did.

So the girls go up, get to their places for their dance routine and cheer, and they introduce the teams. Jennifer said they used to call each player by name, and they would run through the tunnel. I could NOT imagine sitting through 1000 names and 1000 kids running through a tunnel. I think I would be blogging from the UofF Koehler Center right now.

The girls had an awesome time. They had an illusionist, who delivered the message of salvation. And let me tell you something: I love the sound of my kids' voices. I loved hearing them talk for the first time, coo and sound all sweet. But there is NOTHING sweeter in this world than sitting there, listening to the sound of tiny voices, repeating the prayer of salvation out loud. Not all of them did it, and that was the cool thing. Jennifer and I were crying after that. Wendy Houck came up afterwards and had tears in her eyes. It was the most profoundly beautiful sound ... ever.

The girls got little stuffed megaphones that they were supposed to have autographed, but one of our girls left early, one was sick, and the other was on her way out by the time that Jennifer and I clued in that we had a Sharpie marker. Ok... who am I kidding. I knew we had the markerl; I just didn't clue in.

It was a top-rate production, and I was definitely proud to have been those girls' coach. They were a joy to work with, and I love each one of them dearly.

McCayla had a BLAST! They gave some things away at the end, drawing names of parents and players and cheerleaders alike. McCayla got all excited when they were giving away family packs and basketballs and a Game Boy. They are serious gift givers.

It was an awesome production. My hat is off to you, Upward planning and decorating team. Kudos.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...so nice. Especially since it is all over now, right?!
Hey, here is my new dilema..I've been asked to be on the Leadership Council. Me. Ugh! I thought that was my ticket off of PC. I got my secret package delivered last night. What to do, what to do.
It is an honor, but really. Me?!
Anyway!
See you tonight..are we doing dinner? Call me!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home