Phone calls at 10:15 pm
You know, the last time we got a phone call from a family member at night (besides the one we received from Phil last night) was from my brother when my Mom had her car accident. My Mom's accident ... I don't have the pictures anymore, but it was a bad one. It was 2 weeks after Jenna was born, and Mom was on her way home on SR 37. It is a windy road, but one she has travelled THOUSANDS of times. She overcorrected on a curve, spun around, went left of center, and her passenger side was struck by an oncoming, one-ton Dodge pickup truck with one of those nasty looking spoilers on the front. And the strange thing was ... this was a person who lived just down the road from my parents out in the country.
Her seat broke, and she flew backwards, seat and all, into the back seat, and hit her head pretty good. Shattered glass was EVERYwhere ... in her hair, in her skin. She was knocked unconscious. Had it been the other way, where she was broadsided on her side, she would have died. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about that one. Her car was completely totalled. We went to see it to get an idea of how bad the accident was, and I wouldn't have believed that someone walked away from the accident. Even the insurance adjuster made the comment that he was surprised that she walked away with her life.
It was at that moment that my Mom started going to church more. She is now a regular attender at StoneBridge, as is my father.
It is those late night phone calls that are the scariest. It reminds me that life is too fragile to take it for granted. I am just sitting here, thinking about my mother in law right now, worrying for my husband because this is his mom ... I guess I am not ready for this stage of my life, but really have to accept that it is here.
Her seat broke, and she flew backwards, seat and all, into the back seat, and hit her head pretty good. Shattered glass was EVERYwhere ... in her hair, in her skin. She was knocked unconscious. Had it been the other way, where she was broadsided on her side, she would have died. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about that one. Her car was completely totalled. We went to see it to get an idea of how bad the accident was, and I wouldn't have believed that someone walked away from the accident. Even the insurance adjuster made the comment that he was surprised that she walked away with her life.
It was at that moment that my Mom started going to church more. She is now a regular attender at StoneBridge, as is my father.
It is those late night phone calls that are the scariest. It reminds me that life is too fragile to take it for granted. I am just sitting here, thinking about my mother in law right now, worrying for my husband because this is his mom ... I guess I am not ready for this stage of my life, but really have to accept that it is here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home