Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Beep Beep ...Coming through

Did I mention that I was meeting my mother for lunch? Ah yes... previous post.

Met my mother at Panera Bread. She wanted someplace quiet so she could discuss my class teaching strategy.

While some of the things she stated made perfect sense, I couldn't help but feel as if my mother was a Mack truck, running herself through my conversations.

When you talk to my Dad, he listens. He offers his advice. He gets out of the conversation. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

When you talk to my sister, sentences and thoughts are shared and finished because you really are on the same page. Or you say something like "well, you know that turkeys really are the dumbest creatures... they will go out and turn their head up during a rainstorm and drown themselves" to your vegan sister who is trying to enlighten you on the slaughter of innocent turkeys during Thanksgiving, thereby resulting in an alienation of sorts.

When you talk to my brother, you get a curt conversation, very matter-of-fact, get in, get the information, get out lest you spend another wasted minute in discussions.

When you talk to my mother, you get this:

1. What I was thinking about doing was this (and this is where I interject my ideas of what I could talk about for my introduction).
2. Yeah... and then you could ... insert some irrelevant comment here.
3. Ok... well then I was thinking about spending an hour or so on these exercises.
4. Yeah... and then you could... insert the second irrelevant comment here.
5. All right ... then I was thinking about ...
6. Yeah... that sounds good. Just make sure that when you talk, you don't talk too fast because you can lose people really quickly because you have a lot of information to cover.
7. Did you hear what I just said?
8. Ummm.. yeah... and then you could...

My mother. The Mack truck. She has stopped hurting my feelings and making me feel as if I don't have anything important to say. I am just keeping mental tabs on her behavior for when I turn her over to the nursing home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home