A tribute to my husband
I feel bad that I didn't do a thing for my husband, but he informed me that Vday is for the wives, so he wasn't hurt. But, he does read my blog, so here's a tribute to you, Patrick.
Patrick and I met at the University of Kentucky. He and I were in band together. I had transferred there from the University of Rio Grande at the beginning of my junior year, and my mother, who was afraid that I would be *lost* at UK, suggested that I try out for the marching band. It never entered my mind the magnitude of such a decision. I thought it would be ok, not really knowing what I would be getting myself into.
It was probably the fourth or fifth week of band (having gone through camp in August, and classes starting) and this guy walked up to me, introduced himself as Patrick, and said he was in my macroeconomics class. He thought the guy I sat beside was my boyfriend. Well, he wasn't. His name WAS Bob, but that wasn't the Bob who was my boyfriend. That dude was going to classes in Kent State, not suspecting a thing when this lean boy of 20 walked up to me and introduced himself to me.
I was smitten. I couldn't think of anyone else. I couldn't stop thinking about him. I was totally taken aback that someone I didn't even know thought I was *cute* when I was singing the Sesame Street song instead of the singing the music we were actually playing (some Chicago song).
I had to do something I didn't think I was going to do. I had to break up with the BF at the time. I called him (with Patrick in my room), he cried, I didn't, and that was the end of a 2 1/2 year relationship. I couldn't believe that I had done it, but I was SO glad that I did. Looking back on that relationship now, I don't think I could have married him.
Patrick and I were inseparable. We coudln't stand summers away from one another. When fall session would start up again, we were basking in the light of new found romance all over again.
He took wonderful care of me. I had mono that spring of our jr. year, and he was so wonderful to me. I was rottenly sick, and he took me to my appointments at the health center. He took me to the grocery to get me some food. He took me outside and let me sleep in the sunshine.
I knew he was the man I would marry. It was only a matter of time.
We spent a GLORIOUS summer at Cedar Point, me working in Marketing, and he working in the warehouse. It was wonderful. I could never ask for a more wonderful time in my life.
Patrick asked me to marry him on Derby Day in 1993. His friend, Scott, thought he was asking me there so he kind of said something. Or so Patrick said. I wasn't paying any attention because, well, I just didn't pay much attention to Scott. If you knew Scott, you would do the same thing.
We were engaged for one year and one month, and were married on June 18, 1994. We lived modestly in a town house behind the mall. There were so many good times there ... we couldn't afford to run the electric heating system upstairs all day, so we would leave it off and turn it on only at night. Patrick would run upstairs, turn on the electric blanket on high, turn on the baseboard heater, and I would run in and jump in bed quickly.
We had fish. No other pets for us that first year of marriage.
We came home from our honeymoon and ate our anniversary cake because we were certain it wouldn't taste as good one year later. We sat out on our back stoop, watching the cars leave the mall parking lot, eating lemon cake and drinking champagne.
We had this entertainment center. Man, it was HUGE. It was a sore spot in our marriage until I convinced him to get rid of it and get a smaller one.
He worked part-time at 5/3 Bank and Meijer in the video department, when it was still there. He worked with a guy named Kevin (I think that is the correct spelling ... but you pronounced it Keevin). Maybe I have that spelled wrong. He would go off to work, I would go off to law school, and he would come home, eat dinner, and go back to Meijer for six to midnight. I would barely see him, because I would be beat when I got home from law school. I would ALWAYS leave my cereal bowl on the coffee table, when it was only a few feet to our kitchen. One night, I put the bowl right in the doorway because he always gave me a hard time about not being able to make it to the kitchen with the bowl.
We lived apart the last few months of my final year of law school as he took a position down in KY. I lived with my parents. That was a hard time. I missed him terribly, but it was ok because I could focus on my last months at school, and graduate.
Part two to come later.
Patrick and I met at the University of Kentucky. He and I were in band together. I had transferred there from the University of Rio Grande at the beginning of my junior year, and my mother, who was afraid that I would be *lost* at UK, suggested that I try out for the marching band. It never entered my mind the magnitude of such a decision. I thought it would be ok, not really knowing what I would be getting myself into.
It was probably the fourth or fifth week of band (having gone through camp in August, and classes starting) and this guy walked up to me, introduced himself as Patrick, and said he was in my macroeconomics class. He thought the guy I sat beside was my boyfriend. Well, he wasn't. His name WAS Bob, but that wasn't the Bob who was my boyfriend. That dude was going to classes in Kent State, not suspecting a thing when this lean boy of 20 walked up to me and introduced himself to me.
I was smitten. I couldn't think of anyone else. I couldn't stop thinking about him. I was totally taken aback that someone I didn't even know thought I was *cute* when I was singing the Sesame Street song instead of the singing the music we were actually playing (some Chicago song).
I had to do something I didn't think I was going to do. I had to break up with the BF at the time. I called him (with Patrick in my room), he cried, I didn't, and that was the end of a 2 1/2 year relationship. I couldn't believe that I had done it, but I was SO glad that I did. Looking back on that relationship now, I don't think I could have married him.
Patrick and I were inseparable. We coudln't stand summers away from one another. When fall session would start up again, we were basking in the light of new found romance all over again.
He took wonderful care of me. I had mono that spring of our jr. year, and he was so wonderful to me. I was rottenly sick, and he took me to my appointments at the health center. He took me to the grocery to get me some food. He took me outside and let me sleep in the sunshine.
I knew he was the man I would marry. It was only a matter of time.
We spent a GLORIOUS summer at Cedar Point, me working in Marketing, and he working in the warehouse. It was wonderful. I could never ask for a more wonderful time in my life.
Patrick asked me to marry him on Derby Day in 1993. His friend, Scott, thought he was asking me there so he kind of said something. Or so Patrick said. I wasn't paying any attention because, well, I just didn't pay much attention to Scott. If you knew Scott, you would do the same thing.
We were engaged for one year and one month, and were married on June 18, 1994. We lived modestly in a town house behind the mall. There were so many good times there ... we couldn't afford to run the electric heating system upstairs all day, so we would leave it off and turn it on only at night. Patrick would run upstairs, turn on the electric blanket on high, turn on the baseboard heater, and I would run in and jump in bed quickly.
We had fish. No other pets for us that first year of marriage.
We came home from our honeymoon and ate our anniversary cake because we were certain it wouldn't taste as good one year later. We sat out on our back stoop, watching the cars leave the mall parking lot, eating lemon cake and drinking champagne.
We had this entertainment center. Man, it was HUGE. It was a sore spot in our marriage until I convinced him to get rid of it and get a smaller one.
He worked part-time at 5/3 Bank and Meijer in the video department, when it was still there. He worked with a guy named Kevin (I think that is the correct spelling ... but you pronounced it Keevin). Maybe I have that spelled wrong. He would go off to work, I would go off to law school, and he would come home, eat dinner, and go back to Meijer for six to midnight. I would barely see him, because I would be beat when I got home from law school. I would ALWAYS leave my cereal bowl on the coffee table, when it was only a few feet to our kitchen. One night, I put the bowl right in the doorway because he always gave me a hard time about not being able to make it to the kitchen with the bowl.
We lived apart the last few months of my final year of law school as he took a position down in KY. I lived with my parents. That was a hard time. I missed him terribly, but it was ok because I could focus on my last months at school, and graduate.
Part two to come later.
2 Comments:
Awww, what a nice read, Meredith! I wish DH and I had eaten our wedding cake right away :)
Hooray for Patrick! I love Patrick, such a great guy! I am just a little sad that you didn't marry wierd Bob, not that he was better, only that you would have been in the family. Ha ha. No, you totally married the right guy! I bet that entertainment center is in your basement, not in the trash like you thought!!
Have a good one, hope your kids are better! I didn't make it there either!
Post a Comment
<< Home