People who talk just to talk
McCayla goes to dance every Monday night. This is her third year (she sat out last year), but she is in the same class with the girls who have all been together since they started dancing there, plus a few others.
One of the things that I cannot STAND when I am sitting there waiting for her is the talk. You know ... "well, we were going to sell the house but we have to get the finished basement's bar all decked out, so we have someone coming over to do that this week" or "we are getting ready to build our 6 bedroom, 5 bath house soon ... and we are using all cash to do it."
I can take so much of that, and then I start to wonder ... are these people just desperate for acceptance? Do they NEED to sound like they have money for them to feel like someone? It really is kind of sad, when you think about it. Once you get past all of the material things in these conversations, there is NO substance. None.
Then they move on to the gentleman who is waiting for the arrival of his sixth child, asking if his wife is ready to have the baby, all that stuff. And he answers them really well, actually. Like he knows what he is talking about. You know, sometimes, men... they just don't listen. Or don't pay attention. Or SOMEthing.
With Patrick (and my Mom, too), I can tell when he mentally checks out of conversations. There is a look of either relief or confusion on his face, and I have to stop talking in order for him to catch up. It is VERY maddening, to say the least.
With my Mom, it is borderline rude. You can be talking to her, and you can see when the lightbulb has blown in her mind, and she is moving on to the next train of thought. And she really doesn't care if she appears rude or not. She just does it. Drives me INSANE!
I don't think I can summarize another case. I have only done 2 1/2. I have to bustamove tomorrow.
Later....
One of the things that I cannot STAND when I am sitting there waiting for her is the talk. You know ... "well, we were going to sell the house but we have to get the finished basement's bar all decked out, so we have someone coming over to do that this week" or "we are getting ready to build our 6 bedroom, 5 bath house soon ... and we are using all cash to do it."
I can take so much of that, and then I start to wonder ... are these people just desperate for acceptance? Do they NEED to sound like they have money for them to feel like someone? It really is kind of sad, when you think about it. Once you get past all of the material things in these conversations, there is NO substance. None.
Then they move on to the gentleman who is waiting for the arrival of his sixth child, asking if his wife is ready to have the baby, all that stuff. And he answers them really well, actually. Like he knows what he is talking about. You know, sometimes, men... they just don't listen. Or don't pay attention. Or SOMEthing.
With Patrick (and my Mom, too), I can tell when he mentally checks out of conversations. There is a look of either relief or confusion on his face, and I have to stop talking in order for him to catch up. It is VERY maddening, to say the least.
With my Mom, it is borderline rude. You can be talking to her, and you can see when the lightbulb has blown in her mind, and she is moving on to the next train of thought. And she really doesn't care if she appears rude or not. She just does it. Drives me INSANE!
I don't think I can summarize another case. I have only done 2 1/2. I have to bustamove tomorrow.
Later....
1 Comments:
Ha Ha Ha!!! so love that about your mom...
I know what you mean..it's that crowd..I felt the same way when I was taking Carly to Gold Medal. Those ladies had to have something to complain about..they sound like total snots when they are talking..we didn't fit in if you know what I mean..
So tired..on my way to Yoga now..was up late decorating for today. :) See you in a few!
Robin
Post a Comment
<< Home