Friday, February 10, 2006

Good Golly, Miss Molly

I think I commented on Robin's blog about Robin being on call and that I wouldn't grace the presence of the ER this weekend just for Robin. Well, guess where I spent my afternoon? Yep. The ER.

McCayla's school secretary called and said McCayla had a horrid headache, and that they tried to control it with Tylenol, but it didn't touch it. I called Patrick (I was home with the sleeping baby) and he ran to get her. She vomited at school, and that told me that we were possibly looking at the SAME thing that we dealt with in September when they diagnosed M with Type 1 diabetes.

She came home, looked AWFUL, like someone had run her over with a Mack truck. I took her reading at 3:15 and she was at 130. I called our physician, the nurse told us to bring her in at 3:45. I called my Mom, and she said she would be over asap. I took her reading at 3:25, and it was 177. I called the dr's office back, and they said to bring her in right then.

We got to the doc's office, and her reading was 209 at 3:45.

The doc didn't feel good sending us home (and we didn't WANT to be sent home, and neither did McCayla, who LOVED being in the hospital the last time she went through this), so he called the pediatric hospitalist. He told us to come on into the ER and he would run some tests on her.

She threw up in the doc's parking lot, and then that seemed to really help her. It was like a light switch, and she was getting better by the minute.

The reading at 5:30 was 163, and at 6:15 at the blood draw, it was 133.

So the ped thinks it is migraines, and that when she vomits, she is realeasing ketones in her body, which is the pancreas' way of dealing with it. In a preliminary search, it looks like this might be a common way for the body to deal with the migraine ... but I don't want to deal with this everytime.

The last time, her readings were worse, but this time she was pretty much within the normal range, except for her sugar level, and her WBC.

So....here we are, again. We need to get in to see the specialist in Toledo sometime soon, and decide how we are going to deal with the migraines.

Oh and Sue... CADD is Crop-A-Doodle-Do! Here's a link ... http://www.cropadoodledo.com/ I am going with a group of friends at the end of this month! Can't WAIT!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, the poor thing! Glad to hear she's feeling better. My sister suffers from migraines as well. I don't know how people do it. Hugs.

9:45 AM  
Blogger mom2pittcrew said...

Neither do I, Christie. She was at the game and said her head was starting to hurt, and me being the IDIOT mother, worrying more about whether I remembered the face tatoos for the cheerleaders, totally did NOT take a thing for headaches. Thank GOD my co-coach had some Tylenol in her purse.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home