First impressions
You know, it is that time when you meet someone, and you SO want to make a good first impression, and then you walk away after talking with them, and wonder ... what did they rate me?
We have a new youth pastor at our church, and he has a wife and two children. His wife came to MOPS today, and I am terribly afraid that she thinks I am some psycho loonie who walked in off the street and didn't have any business being in the company of people. I don't mean that in a bad way... I just get this feeling that I overwhelmed her. I am SO friendly. I am not saying that in a derogatory, or tongue-in-cheek, manner. I am being honest. I am friendly. I want someone to feel at ease around me. But I fear that I am SO ADD/ADHD/hyperactive that those who aren't as hyper as me view me as a spaz.
I don't want to appear to be a spaz, but I am sure that is how I am perceived. I have caught people just looking at me, trying to figure me out, when I think I am the most uncomplicated person around.
Do I threaten people? Do I come off as SO strong, and SO outgoing, and SO loud and boisterous to the point of being unapproachable?
I have a certain circle of friends. They are like me in a lot of ways. We have quick wits, and I think that is hard for some people to handle. You know ... there are times (and this goes right back to the totally inappropriate behavior comments) when someone says something, and I just want to crack a joke, because I am "on" and I am "hot" with them. But this person might be talking about that fact that they have to go to a funeral. You know? You just want to make some wise-crack about it, but you know you would totally be ostracized if you did say something.
I did that one time in college ... about a roommate's boyfriend's dead dog ... and he had just lost the dog. We were getting ready to watch Thelma and Louise, and I hadn't seen it before, and someone said they died in the end (sorry... but I figure if you haven't seen it yet and I just spoiled it for you, well... you should have seen it by now if you wanted to, right?) ... well, I said "well, just like Jason's dog."
Ok .. .yeah. Not appropriate, but I thought it was funny in my mind... but I guess not. I felt bad about saying it, and shut myself up in my room in our apartment. I don't think I ever apologized to him. So here you go, Jason Greer, even though I know you do not read my blog, I am putting the apology out there in the universe ... I am sorry for making fun of the fact that your dog died.
Ok. With that out of the way, what was I talking about?
Oh yeah... first impressions. You know you want to say "well I was just ME and if they can't handle that, then so be it" but deep down inside, you want EVERYone to like you. But there are just times when you know that you can't be liked by everyone because, well, there are people I just don't like. Well, people that I wouldn't necessarily seek out as friends. Let's put it that way.
Oh yeah... and another thing
JENNA PEED ON THE POTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have a new youth pastor at our church, and he has a wife and two children. His wife came to MOPS today, and I am terribly afraid that she thinks I am some psycho loonie who walked in off the street and didn't have any business being in the company of people. I don't mean that in a bad way... I just get this feeling that I overwhelmed her. I am SO friendly. I am not saying that in a derogatory, or tongue-in-cheek, manner. I am being honest. I am friendly. I want someone to feel at ease around me. But I fear that I am SO ADD/ADHD/hyperactive that those who aren't as hyper as me view me as a spaz.
I don't want to appear to be a spaz, but I am sure that is how I am perceived. I have caught people just looking at me, trying to figure me out, when I think I am the most uncomplicated person around.
Do I threaten people? Do I come off as SO strong, and SO outgoing, and SO loud and boisterous to the point of being unapproachable?
I have a certain circle of friends. They are like me in a lot of ways. We have quick wits, and I think that is hard for some people to handle. You know ... there are times (and this goes right back to the totally inappropriate behavior comments) when someone says something, and I just want to crack a joke, because I am "on" and I am "hot" with them. But this person might be talking about that fact that they have to go to a funeral. You know? You just want to make some wise-crack about it, but you know you would totally be ostracized if you did say something.
I did that one time in college ... about a roommate's boyfriend's dead dog ... and he had just lost the dog. We were getting ready to watch Thelma and Louise, and I hadn't seen it before, and someone said they died in the end (sorry... but I figure if you haven't seen it yet and I just spoiled it for you, well... you should have seen it by now if you wanted to, right?) ... well, I said "well, just like Jason's dog."
Ok .. .yeah. Not appropriate, but I thought it was funny in my mind... but I guess not. I felt bad about saying it, and shut myself up in my room in our apartment. I don't think I ever apologized to him. So here you go, Jason Greer, even though I know you do not read my blog, I am putting the apology out there in the universe ... I am sorry for making fun of the fact that your dog died.
Ok. With that out of the way, what was I talking about?
Oh yeah... first impressions. You know you want to say "well I was just ME and if they can't handle that, then so be it" but deep down inside, you want EVERYone to like you. But there are just times when you know that you can't be liked by everyone because, well, there are people I just don't like. Well, people that I wouldn't necessarily seek out as friends. Let's put it that way.
Oh yeah... and another thing
JENNA PEED ON THE POTTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 Comments:
ok the thing you said about first impressions and this girl we were talking to... I feel the total same way. Here I am offering to watch her kids if she ever needs help and she probably thinks I'm the hugest spaz ever!!!! And you know I can't act civilized around you because you get my humor so I have to be constantly goofing off when you're around. Yeah and can I say more stupid rambling things at the opening of our meetings? Talking about the funk....that I would sell my soul for peanut butter fudge. "Lord I was born a ramblin' "woman" name that tune!!!!!!! oops MY adhd is in full gear
JACQUE, would you get a blog already? we have to communicate throught this third party stuff..it just doesn't cut it.
Meredith, please don't ever change..your personality is so attractive to me..we are so alike..Jacque could join the group if she would scrapbook or something. I know what you mean about R..I really want to befriend her. I think she thinks we are like a cult, maybe stepford wives, minus the blond hair..oh wait a minute..Jacque, yes! You might fit the mold!
Hey, your anonymous person is Stacy and she is tagging you to answer some Q and A on your blog. So..you can link to mine to get to hers to answer the questions on your blog..if you wanna..
Post a Comment
<< Home