Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The double-edged sword of pain killers

My two oldest woke up with fevers this morning. Evan has been harboring a cough and cold (after getting OVER one not more than two weeks ago), so I had a feeling he would run something. McCayla, on the other hand, took me by total surprise this morning when she said her tummy was hurting.

I am a vomit-phobe. I cannot STAND it. Ask any of my friends. There is truly a phobia about vomiting. I am serious. Of course, I don't know anyone who would say they enjoy dealing with it.

So when I hear those words "my tummy is hurting" chills go up and down my spine.

She was warm to the touch, so I put her in my bed and put a trashcan beside her, just in case. She hasn't used it ... and hoping she doesn't have to.

I decided to give them their repsective pain killers. I have one who can stomach ibuprofen (Evan) but one who can't, so we have to have both on hand. And we have moved past that liquid stuff... we are on to the hard core, chewable version of Tylenol and Motrin.

You don't want them to feel bad, so you give them pain killers.

Before the pain killers: McCayla was lethargic in my bed, looking like she could lay there all day. Evan was laid out on the couch.

After the pain killers: Evan has gotten up and is playing and acting like normal. McCayla, while not 100 percent, has asked to do 20 crafts, asked for the portable DVD player (which was delivered), asked for Madagascar and SpongeBob for said player, and has argued with me that making paper snowflakes is NOT a craft.

I have to have a follow-up with the dr about McCayla's episode last week, but that is supposed to be today. I don't think I will be taking her as I really don't want to take an already ill child to a germ infested dr's office. My mother, on the other hand, couldn't believe that I was cancelling the appointment. Well that is because you have been given your opportunity to raise your children, and now it is my turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home